We will meet once a week — every Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. Each week, there will be a small assignment that will keep you on track with our course goals for the semester. Each assignment is worth 10 points, and late assignments will only receive partial credit.
Week 1: January 21
- Topic: Introducing the course and ourselves. Reviewing syllabus and policies. Discussing our goals and plans for the semester.
Week 2: January 28
- Topic: Assessing raw materials and setting individual schedules.
- Due: Review the Core Matrix and the Professional Writing Matrix in the Scholar Portfolio site and select two essays/projects that could be candidates for each cell in the matrices.
Week 3: February 4
- Topic: Job search vs. graduate school.
- Due: Reflection essays for all items in the Core Matrix.
Week 4: February 11
- Topic: Writing confidently (but modestly) about your accomplishments (i.e., the “personal statement”).
- Due: Reflection essays for all items in the PW Matrix.
Week 5: February 18
- Topic: Reviewing effective models of professional portfolios.
- Due: Showcase on Growth (part of the Core Matrix).
Week 6: February 25
- Topic: Selecting a platform for your personal portfolio.
- Due: Final draft of the official English Department documents (uploaded to Scholar), plus the completed Graduation Checklist.
Week 7: March 4
- Topic: Developing a “personal brand.”
- Due: Register domain, securing hosting, install any necessary software.
Week 8: March 18
Midterm conferences with Dr. Warnick. (No class on Wednesday due to travel.)
Week 9: March 25
- Topic: Designing effective résumés.
- Due: Personal branding guidelines.
Week 10: April 1
- Topic: The job search part 1: finding available jobs.
- Due: HTML version of your résumé.
Week 11: April 8
- Topic: The job search part 2: applying for jobs.
- Due: Draft of “Welcome” and “About Me” pages.
Week 12: April 15
- Topic: Framing your artifacts.
- Due: Website framework complete; three portfolio artifacts selected.
Week 13: April 22
- Topic: Individual conferences with Dr. Warnick
- Due: Three portfolio artifacts revised and added to your site.
Week 14: April 29
- Topic: Peer critique session
- Due: Full draft of your portfolio online and ready to share with your classmates.
Week 15: May 6
- Due: Submit URL for final portfolio site via email.